My family loves homemade muffins and these are a healthier way to satisfy our muffin cravings. They're also a delicious way to use sourdough discard.
Whole Grain Sourdough Banana Muffins
Makes about 20 muffins
130g sourdough starter, 100% hydration
1/2 cup organic, pure maple syrup
2 ripe bananas, mashed
220g whole grain Einkorn flour
1/4 cup melted coconut oil; warm or room temp
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract.
1/2-1 cup dried cranberries, or add-in of choice, optional
1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs.
2. Mix in starter, syrup, and bananas.
3. Add in flour and coconut oil (Make sure it's not hot. You don't want to cook the eggs, or kill the sourdough starter.)
4. Cover and ferment for 8 hours or overnight.
5. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
6. Prepare two muffin pans. This will fill about 20 muffin cups.
7. Whisk in salt, baking soda, vanilla and any desired mix-ins.
8. Pour batter into muffin cups.
9. Place muffin pan in oven and reduce heat to 375.
10. Bake regular sized muffins for 20 minutes and mini muffins for 15.
I like to use natural parchment paper liners. The muffins don't stick to these and they're a bit more environmentally friendly.