If you like Malt-O-Meal, here's a more healthy, economical and earth friendly alternative.
1. Soak Einkorn berries in two cups water and 2 Tbsp. whey or 1 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar. You may soak Einkorn overnight and cook in the morning, or soak for 8-24 hours and store, covered in the fridge for up to 1 week before draining and cooking as directed below.
2. Drain and rinse einkorn.
3. Place berries in a blender, add 1 cup water.
4. Process until fairly smooth, but still with some texture.
5. Pour into a small-medium size pot.
6. Add 2 1/2 cups water and salt.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat, and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, whisking occasionally to prevent lumps. See notes below.
We like it with either pure maple syrup or honey and milk.
Any remaining porridge can be stored in the fridge and quickly re-heated in a pan with additional water to prevent it from burning.
Very smooth Einkorn may be done in as little as 10 minutes. The more coarse it is, the longer it will take to cook.