Soaked and Cooked Einkorn Berries
1. Soak einkorn berries in 2 cups of water and 2 Tbsp. whey, on your counter, for 12-24 hours. At this point, you can cover the container and place it in the fridge, soaking liquid and all for up to a week, or cook right away.
2. Before cooking, drain soaked einkorn through a very fine mesh strainer, a strainer lined with a kitchen towel, or a nut milk bag Rinse well with cool water. Give the strainer a shake to ensure that there is no excess liquid.
3. Add soaked einkorn, 3 cups of water and salt to a medium pot.
4. Bring to a full rolling boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 35 minutes, or more depending on how firm you like your Einkorn berries.
7. Drain in a fine mesh strainer.
8. I like a little scoop of einkorn on a green salad, to give it a little more staying power. We also use einkorn for grain bowls, and in place of rice, or pasta. It's also delicious in soup; we love this cold salad; and one of our favorites is honey sweetened einkorn berries with yogurt, or milk.