Naturally Sweetened Lemon Curd
1 tsp. lemon zest
5 Tbsp. honey or pure maple syrup
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 pinches salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, or ghee
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Add the eggs to a small pan and whisk until smooth.
2. Wash and dry the lemons, then zest the lemon rind.
3. Juice the lemons.
4. Mix the zest, honey, lemon juice and salt into the eggs.
5. Place pan over a small burner on the stove, heated to medium-low heat and whisk mixture until it just starts to simmer and is slightly thickened.
6. Remove pan from the heat, stir in the coconut oil and vanilla.
7. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve or strainer to remove any solids. You want your curd silky smooth.
8. Store curd in the fridge, where it will thicken as it cools.
Patience is a key with this recipe. If you turn the heat up too high, you'll end up with scrambled eggs.
When zesting, make sure to only get the yellow part of the peel as too much of the white pith can cause a metallic/bitter taste.
The curd will store safely in the fridge for up to a month.